FG Announces Date to Launch Free Digital TV With 100+ Channels


Nigeria’s long-awaited transition from analogue broadcasting to digital television is finally set for rollout, with the Federal Government announcing plans to launch a free-to-air platform offering more than 100 television channels nationwide.

Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, disclosed that the digital switchover initiative will officially go live on June 17, describing the project as a major turning point for the country’s broadcast industry.
Speaking during an inspection visit to the headquarters of Nigerian Communications Satellite Limited in Abuja, the minister said the government had finally resolved years of delays that stalled the country’s migration from analogue transmission systems to digital broadcasting.

According to him, the new digital broadcasting framework is expected to reshape television viewing, advertising, and content distribution not only in Nigeria but across parts of sub-Saharan Africa.

“This is the beginning of a modern broadcasting era for Nigeria,” Idris said during the tour.

He added that the platform would introduce real-time audience measurement technology capable of monitoring viewer engagement and programme preferences across different demographics.

“With this system, broadcasters and advertisers will now understand what Nigerians are watching and how audiences respond to content,” the minister said.

Industry observers believe the development could significantly improve competition among television stations and encourage the production of higher-quality local content.

Idris also stated that viewers would enjoy clearer picture quality and wider access to free television services without the financial burden associated with previous digital migration attempts.

Unlike earlier initiatives that relied heavily on encrypted decoders, the minister said the new arrangement would reduce costs for users because the government had absorbed part of the infrastructure expenses.

“This service is designed to be accessible. Nigerians should not struggle to enjoy digital television,” he said.

Furthermore, the minister credited the successful rollout to collaboration between the Federal Ministry of Information, the Ministry of Communications, the National Broadcasting Commission, and NigComSat.

He also praised President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for backing the initiative with the necessary funding and policy support.

Director-General of the NBC, Charles Ebuebu, said the platform was designed with younger audiences and emerging digital consumption habits in mind.

According to him, the project will debut with around 100 active channels, while more content providers are already preparing to join the service.

“We are building a platform that reflects changing technology and modern viewing behaviour,” Ebuebu said.

He revealed that six regional production studios had already been established across the country to support content creators and reduce overdependence on major cities such as Lagos, Abuja, and Kano.

The NBC boss further disclosed plans to introduce a multilingual customer support centre and a nationwide network of accredited technicians to assist subscribers after launch.

Meanwhile, Chief Executive Officer of NigComSat, Jane Egerton-Idehen, said the organisation was already working on expanding satellite capacity to strengthen coverage and improve service reliability.

She disclosed that plans were underway to launch two additional satellites as part of efforts to deepen Nigeria’s digital communications infrastructure.

“The expansion plans show that this project goes beyond television alone. The goal is long-term technological growth and uninterrupted service delivery,” she said.

Post a Comment

Drop Your Comment In The Box Below

Previous Post Next Post